ARTBAR happens after dark every month. Enter an intimate series of unexpected performances as art, live music and performance collide.
Follow us into the abyss on Friday 29 September as this year’s Primavera artists Elena Papanikolakis and Kynan Tan present MCA ARTBAR: THE NEW AGE.
• Howl, chirp and trill as you warble your way through Selena de Carvalho’s karaoke while dressed in a bespoke animal costume.
• Namaste ARTBAR lovers. Join Sandy Kelly for the ultimate Yoga Nidra.
• Learn the stories of the stars in An Introduction to Aboriginal Astronomy with Wiradjuri Astronomer Kirsten Banks.
• Peer into the future as Sebastian Goldspink reads your tarot cards.
• Make your own robot with Kirsty Fromholtz.
• Dance the future away to rooftop DJs and bask in the harbour views.
Friday 29 September 2017, 7-11pm
Throughout the MCA
$18 MCA Members and Concessions*
(subject to availability)
$22 MCA Members and Concessions*
Ages 18 +
*Concession: Tertiary/TAFE/ESL Students with photo ID, Senior’s Card holders, Unemployed/Concession Card holders, Nava card holders
*Booking fees apply
Selena de Carvalho
T. Morimoto + special guests
Utility (Austin Buckett + Thomas Smith)
Danny Wild (Low Flung)
Level 1 North: Hilarie Mais (Open until 10pm)
Level 1 South: Primavera 2017: Young Australian Artists (Open until 10pm)
Level 2: MCA Collection: Today Tomorrow Yesterday (Open until 10pm)
Level 3: Jenny Watson: Fabric of Fantasy (Open 9.30pm)
Primavera 2017: Young Australian Artists brings together artworks by eight young artists from across Australia artists that question natural and human-made archives, from the physical to the digital.
For the 26th edition of Primavera, curator Sophia Kouyoumdjian will work with the participating artists to explore the theme of ‘Ancient Futures’. Each work in the exhibition will consider the relationship between existence in the present, and the past, in relation to archives and collections.
We offer support for anyone with access needs as a free supplement to all MCA programs. For more information and to make a request, please contact
email@example.com or find information regarding Bella programs exclusively for people with access requirements HERE
Image: Kynan Tan, Data Erasure, 2017, computer-generated video, sound, 13:45 minutes, image courtesy the artist